[Buildroot] LKUS in buildroot 2023.02.9

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Tue Jan 30 22:03:51 UTC 2024

 > Hello,
 > I'm booting an x86 Intel CPU using Linux 4.9.20 (32 bits) and buildroot
 > 2023.02.9
 > I consider using LKUS in order to encrypt the disk.
 > Is it a wise decision ?

LKUS? Do you mean LUKS (Linux Unified Key Setup)? LUKS is good (but is
just a standard for describing the encryption meta data).

Any specific reason for using such an old Linux kernel version?

 > The motivation: If someone will steal the disk, it will be difficult to
 > copy its contents.

 > I can not use hardware encryption because I cannot replace the disk.

Like always with encryption, the difficult part is handling the
encryption key - Especially if the system is to boot unattended.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard