[Buildroot] Is there an official browser patch for Buildroot?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Apr 1 18:38:54 UTC 2024

On 01/04/2024 20:00, Patricia Holden wrote:
> I found a few topics online about a patch for chromium, but they are dated 2018
> or older.  Is there an official patch to add the chromium-browser as a package
> for Buildroot?  Or how about "minibrowser", which I have also seen topics in an
> online search?

  I don't think there has ever been an attempt to attempt chromium itself, but
there was an attempt at patches for Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF). That's
not a browser, however, just a browser engine. And anyway it turned out that
Chromium (and firefox) are way too complicated with too many vendored
dependencies and crazy buildsystems.

  There are a bunch of alternative browser engines: qt5webengine, qt5webkit,
webkitgtk, wpewebkit.

  There are also a few simple "frontends" for these, that basically render a
single webpage and then allow you to browse (so no things like history,
bookmarks, plugins, etc.): qt-webkit-kiosk, qt5webview; and a more complete
browser: midori.

  Finally, there's also the text-mode browser links, but I don't suppose that
that is what you're looking for.

  Regards,
  Arnout