[Buildroot] Linux kernel make target

Nick Betteridge lists.nick.betteridge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 05:49:56 UTC 2023

Salut JM
>> I'm unable to find an option in menuconfig which allows me to specify
>> a kernel target for 'make' - is this possible? In other words, I can
>> see how to specify the kernel source location, the defconfig etc, but
>> I also need to specify the target - in my case it's 'make
>> nanopi6-images'.
>
> Can you be a bit more precise about what this target does ? Is it a
> post-install target somehow ? I don't know nanopi6 nor the kernel you
> are using ;-).

The friendlyelec nanopi t6 uses a forked kernel [1] and the build
sequence is defined in [2] with a 'make' defined in [3]. The 'make'
command also generates a 'resource.img' which is included in the
construction of the image [4]

I guess that if I'm unable to add the target to the menuconfig kernel
build options then I'll have to create the resource.img in a post-build
script.

Just trying to avoid writing another script :)

Regards,

Nick

[1] https://github.com/friendlyarm/kernel-rockchip -b nanopi5-v5.10.y_opt

[2]
https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPC-T6#Build_kernel_linux-v5.10.y

[3] make CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- ARCH=arm64 nanopi6-images
-j$(nproc)

[4]
https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPC-T6#Install_to_target_board