[Buildroot] Buildroot docker image

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Sun Dec 10 19:28:20 UTC 2023

Hi,

 >  In retrospect, this was probably a mistake :-) Alpine is based on the
 >  musl libc, and as you noticed below, there are host tools that don't
 >  work with musl. Clearly, nobody is using Buildroot on a musl-based
 >  build machine at the moment, since nobody ever complained about this
 > (and fakeroot always needs to be built).

Yes, lets stick to a "normal" glibc based distribution.

 >  So, if we do go for Alpine as the official docker image, we can
 >  expect quite a lot of breakage... Therefore, before going there, I
 >  think we should go for a "normal" distro after all for the time
 >  being. Of all the traditional distros, ubuntu:22.04 has by far the
 >  smallest image at 80MB (this actually came as quite the surprise to
 >  me... I have no idea why Fedora would be twice as large! But it does
 >  already include Python, so after installing all necessary packages it
 >  may even out again...).

I think Fedora is the outlier here, Debian is similar to Ubuntu:

docker image ls debian:12.2\*
REPOSITORY   TAG         IMAGE ID       CREATED       SIZE
debian       12.2-slim   31d5e503c34f   2 weeks ago   74.8MB
debian       12.2        0ce03c8a15ec   2 weeks ago   117MB

Given that we already use Debian for the "CI" container, it IMHO makes
sense to use it here as well.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard