[Buildroot] ARC support in Buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Fri Aug 11 22:25:03 UTC 2023

Hello,

On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 22:00:48 +0200
Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

> > So, in theory it should be OK to remove "arc-xxxx.yy" toolchains from Buildroot.
> > But since we were a bit late with ARCv3 changes for GCC 13, those will only
> > land in GCC 14 which is going to happen sometime in 2024, I guess.
>
>   I think (Thomas correct me if I'm wrong) that we would actually prefer that
> ARC just uses the normal toolchain, and that when ARCv3 is introduced in
> Buildroot, the "special toolchain" will depend on
> BR2_arc_v3_or_whatever_it_will_be_called rather than BR2_arc.

[...]

>   Using the upstream toolchain components is preferred because that way the user
> has the version choice, rather than being forced to use the ARC-specific version
> of that moment. Also, when someone updates to a new GCC version, it immediately
> becomes available for ARC as well (instead of having to wait 3 years for the
> ARC-specific version to be updated...).

This is a very good point indeed.

Alexey: when do you expect to submit ARCv3 support in Buildroot?
Depending on when it comes we might decide to either drop or keep the
ARC-specific toolchain components, and if need be re-introduce them for
ARCv3.

Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training
https://bootlin.com