[Buildroot] [git commit] package/qt5: bump packages to latest kde submodule versions

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu Aug 10 20:13:23 UTC 2023

Hello James, Arnout, Adam,

Since all three of you have been involved in this patch, I have a
question below.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 20:27:27 +0100
Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind) <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

> commit: https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=5770a645a3a49a3f0f02972131a4ff5283b4c11e
> branch: https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/commit/?id=refs/heads/master
>
> This points all qt5 packages to the latest kde submodule versions
> available at https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qt5/-/tree/kde/5.15
>
> There is no 5.15.8 release of the kde-maintained modules, no release
> tarballs and no tags. Instead, there's just a rolling maintenance
> branch. We take a snapshot of that branch and call it 5.15.8, to match
> the latest qt5webengine release.
>
> We need to remove some patches applied upstream already.
>
> qt5location has mapboxgl as a submodule, which is not included in the
> gitlab-generated tarball. Therefore, use the git download method with
> submodules enabled.
>
> We need to pin qt5 packages not available in the new upstream to the
> previous 5.15.2 version.
>
> We need to set SYNC_QT_HEADERS for all qt5 packages in the new
> upstream as headers are only copied in release archives which are
> not provided in the kde upstream.
>
> Instead of calling syncqt.pl, update the MODULE_VERSION in .qmake.conf
> to 5.15.8 and create a .git file so to trigger headers sync during
> configure.

So we're no longer calling this Perl script in QT_HEADERS_SYNC_HOOK:

>  define QT_HEADERS_SYNC_HOOK
> -	$(Q)cd $($(PKG)_BUILDDIR) && $(HOST_DIR)/bin/syncqt.pl -version $(QT5_VERSION)
> +	sed -e '/^MODULE_VERSION/s/5\.15\.[3456789]/$(QT5_VERSION)/' -i \
> +		$($(PKG)_BUILDDIR)/.qmake.conf
> +	touch $($(PKG)_BUILDDIR)/.git
>  endef

Therefore, can we drop the dependency on host-perl in:

ifeq ($$($(2)_SYNC_QT_HEADERS),YES)
$(2)_DEPENDENCIES               += host-perl
$(2)_PRE_CONFIGURE_HOOKS        += QT_HEADERS_SYNC_HOOK
endif

which is just a few lines later in this package/pkg-qmake.mk file?

I noticed today that host-perl was a dependency of qt5base, and I was
like "meh, why is it a dependency", and it seems like this dependency
is no longer needed.

Could you confirm?

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training
https://bootlin.com