[Buildroot] Xtensa qemu nommu defconfig not working

Max Filippov jcmvbkbc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:54:19 UTC 2022

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 10:11 AM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com> wrote:
> The configs/qemu_xtensa_lx60_nommu_defconfig builds correctly, but
> fails to boot under Qemu:
>
> [    1.158675] Freeing unused kernel image (initmem) memory: 460K
> [    1.159475] This architecture does not have kernel memory protection.
> [    1.160806] Run /init as init process
> [    1.186746] binfmt_flat: reloc outside program 0x24c80100 (0 - 0x6e430/0x56a20), killing init!

> Max, do you think you could have a look at what is happening?

AFAICS the following commit in the elf2flt
https://github.com/uclinux-dev/elf2flt/commit/5e08f19683163584f23b953e570749964758c439

disabled address endianness fixup for addresses in the text segment for
xtensa which results in the observed failure. I haven't checked, but from
the code it looks like not only the xtensa may be affected.
I can confirm that reverting that change fixes xtensa nommu boot.

--
Thanks.
-- Max