[Buildroot] Make 4.3 and printvars

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Sat Jun 4 08:19:33 UTC 2022

All,

On 2022-06-03 16:05 +0200, Arnout Vandecappelle spake thusly:
>  Sending this in name of Jean-Pierre, who is not on the list.
> >A quick mail to let you know that I also faced the make 4.3 printvars issue you mentioned in Buildroot mailing list.
> >On my side increasing the stack size limit as follow:
> >ulimit -s 16000
> >solved this issue.
>  I tested it myself and indeed, it works!

Unfortunately, it does not:

    $ make defconfig
    $ make allyespackageconfig

    $ ulimit -s
    8192
    $ make show-vars >/dev/null
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    $ ulimit -s 16000
    $ ulimit -s
    16000
    $ make show-vars >/dev/null
    [...]
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I guess it works by chance on "small-enough" configurations, but this is
still not guaranteed that it works all the times.

I'd rather have no workaround, than one that is half-functional.

Yes, the above *is* extreme, and a completely degenerate case, yet it
means the issue it still present for "big-enough" configurations (I
haven't tried to find how many packages must be enabled before we reach
the tripping point, but that's not the point).

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |