[Buildroot] Hash verification from GitHub

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Mon Jan 17 10:17:05 UTC 2022

James, Danilo, All,

On 2022-01-16 15:51 -0700, James Hilliard spake thusly:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:38 PM Danilo Bargen <mail at dbrgn.ch> wrote:
> > > Just use the hash buildroot generated for you, it should be correct.
> > > (...)
> > > Yeah, it's not going to match since buildroot is doing stuff like
> > > vendoring the cargo deps before generating the tarball
> > Ahh, that explains it. Does this mean that for Cargo based packages, it
> > will always be TOFU and checksums provided by the project / maintainer
> > cannot be used (because they will mismatch)?
> A maintainer could sign the tarball generated by buildroot and upload it to
> github releases if they want.

To be exact: an upstream maintainer (i.e. not a Buildroot maintainer).

> As you can see the script will bail out if the tarball already has
> vendored deps:
> https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/blob/6e4791b751c0f8e0ba218da2c22e71d3e1436b5d/support/download/cargo-post-process#L16-L19

The script will not "bail out" on pre-vendored tarballs; it will just
exit without touching the tarball at all.

I.e. it means that we prefer using tarballs as-is from their upstreams,
when they are vendored; we only vendor packages which upstreams have
not.

> So as long as the upstream release tarball has vendored deps the hash should
> not change AFAIU.

Yes, this is the goal.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.