[Buildroot] Build regression after 2022.02.01

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu Apr 28 21:22:37 UTC 2022

Hello Kristof,

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:39:11 +0200
Kristof Havasi <havasiefr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just updated from 2022.02 to 2022.02.01.
>
> My build broke due to 8945ba49480a7885d10444
> "toolchain/toolchain-external: error if BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH is not set"
>
> I selected a bootlin toolchain for armv7, which is installed on the
> build system and is available
> via PATH. As the help string of BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_PATH describes, if it is
> empty, then PATH will be searched.
>
> If I revert the above commit the build succeeds like before.
>
> I could see the reason behind the check in the commit for the case,
> where the toolchain is yet to be downloaded, but then the lines ended
> up in the wrong
> branch of the if/else statement.
>
> In case the toolchain is already available via PATH, I suggest to
> follow the previous logic
> and description in the help text:
>      "If empty, the compiler will be searched in $PATH."

Thanks for your report. I believe that commit 8945ba49480a7885d10444 is
incorrect, so I sent a patch to propose to revert it:

  https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20220428212011.534725-1-thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com/

Let's see the feedback from the original author and the other Buildroot
maintainers who applied. Maybe I missed something, but my belief is
that the patch is incorrect.

Again, thanks for your report, much appreciated!

Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training
https://bootlin.com