[Buildroot] Buildroot: How to cache linux.git from different repos in a shared DL_DIR

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Wed Nov 10 17:18:13 UTC 2021

Hello Derek,

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:52:00 -0500
"Derek Atkins" <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> I have a question:  I am using a shared DL_DIR to build BuildRoot for
> multiple platforms, however two of my platforms are building a custom
> kernel from git, and each uses a *DIFFERENT* git repository for their
> repo.

That is not a problem at all. A single Git repository can contain
changes that come from multiple Git repositories, so there's absolutely
no problem with having a single $(DL_DIR)/linux/git/ repository storing
the Git commits/blobs coming from your kernel repositories A, B, C, D
and E if you have 5 different platforms with each Linux kernel code
hosted in its own repository.

> Needless to say, this does not work well, because there will be one,
> shared /DL/linux/git/ which is *assumed* to be the one and only repo...
> And whichever one I build first will take that and cached it there, and
> then the second.... Not sure what happens, but it clearly can't cache two
> repos in to the same place.

Sure it can. It's exactly how Git works when you use multiple
"remotes". You fetch Git commits/blobs from different remote
repositories into a single local Git repository.

> Is there some configuration I can use to differentiate platformA from
> platformB in this case?

See above: not needed.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni
--
Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training