[Buildroot] Package configure script environment

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Thu May 7 19:31:37 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Thu, 7 May 2020 12:59:04 -0500
Paul C Diem <PCDiem at FoxValley.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to find how buildroot execute package configure scripts.
> Specifically, I'm trying to build unbound. It build fine under buildroot
> 2019.02 but I'm having trouble under 2020.02.1. The problem is that the
> ubnound configure script looks for include files (such as ssl.h) in
> directories such as /usr. It appears that from the configure script's
> perspective, /usr is the the /usr of the system I'm building on. It
> seems it should be the host /usr from sysroot. I assume a lot of
> configure scripts look for the existence of files in include and
> libraries directories and I would have thought buildroot chroot'ed into
> the host filesystem root when it ran the package configure scripts. Can
> someone explain in what environment the package configure scripts are
> executed?

Why don't you use the "unbound" package that Buildroot has in
package/unbound/ ? It is already integrated, and therefore solves all
those cross-compilation issues for you.

Rule: if you're building something manually against Buildroot, you're
most likely wrong. You should be using an existing package, or create
your own package.

Hope this helps!

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering