[Buildroot] sysklogd 1.6: messages from klogd are logged to user facility

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Mon Aug 10 14:36:29 UTC 2020

Hello Andreas,

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:39:06 +0200 (CEST)
Andreas Hilse <andreas.hilse at ipcomm.de> wrote:

> Latest sysklogd 2.1.2 fixes the issue.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade the sysklogd package and like to clarify some things
> before submitting a patch.
>
> Package now provides its own logger tool which could interfere with the
> same from busybox or util-linux.

Well, the overlap with Busybox already exists, and that's why Busybox has:

BUSYBOX_DEPENDENCIES = \
        $(if $(BR2_PACKAGE_SYSKLOGD),sysklogd) \

This way Busybox is installed *after* sysklogd, and Busybox
installation process is careful enough to not overwrite already
installed binaries.

However, klogd being removed from sysklogd, I'm not sure how this will
end up working: it is possible that Busybox will install its own klogd
symlink anyway.

> I already made it a selectable option in the Config.in but is there
> anything to be done concerning busybox/util-linux?

What have you made selectable ?

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com