[Buildroot] package/alljoyn: is it worth to port to Py3 ?

Titouan Christophe titouan.christophe at railnova.eu
Sun Oct 27 18:18:55 UTC 2019

Dear Fabrice and all Buildrooters,

As you may know, Python2 is going to be deprecated on the 1st of January
2020, and as such I'm working on adapting the Buildroot packages that
still depend on Python2. There's an overview page on
https://elinux.org/index.php?title=Buildroot:Python2Packages

At this very moment, I'm looking at packages that rely on host-python at
build time, mostly those using the waf or SCons build system. In
particular, I came accross the alljoyn packages, which are based on
SCons, and contain a fair amount of Python2-only idioms. Fixing them is
a bit tedious but definitely easy and feasible. However it would result
in quite large patches in the Buildroot codebase.

Hence my question: is anyone using these alljoyn packages ? There does
not seem to be any package that depend on them, and there is no upstream
commit since 2016. If nobody needs them, I guess we can simply remove
them from Buildroot.

Best regards,

Titouan