[Buildroot] linux-firmware package : files not copied to TARGET_DIR

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Tue Jan 8 14:39:07 UTC 2019

Hello,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 14:17:24 +0100, David Picard wrote:

> I am using the CONFIG_E100 kernel driver, which needs
> e100/d102e_ucode.bin from package linux-firmware for chipset Intel
> 82551IT Fast Ethernet Controller.
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/e100
>
> I selected BR2_PACKAGE_LINUX_FIRMWARE in Buildroot, but none of the
> options in the submenu. The file I need is actually present in the
> package build directory, but is not installed.

Well, if you don't enable any of the options in the linux-firmware
submenu, then no firmware gets installed.

> I was thinking of making a custom patch for linux-firmware.mk to copy
> just the one file I need. What do you think ?

That's what you need to do: add an option in
package/linux-firmware/Config.in for your firmware, and add the
necessary code in package/linux-firmware/linux-firmware.mk to add the
firmware to the LINUX_FIRMWARE_FILES variable when the option is
enabled. Don't forget to update LINUX_FIRMWARE_ALL_LICENSE_FILES
accordingly if needed. And to submit the resulting patch!

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com