[Buildroot] Parallel top-level make and multiple rootfs types

Jan Kundrát jan.kundrat at cesnet.cz
Wed Oct 25 23:10:05 UTC 2017

Hi,
I've enabled that unsupported feature for parallel top-level make by
removing ".NOTPARALLEL". I'm doing this because it cuts my build time by a
factor of four (roughly 50min -> 12min; yes, these serialized configure
steps are extremely expensive on a 24-core build node).

Everything works well for me up to and including the `target-finalize`
step. I have multiple CONFIG_TARGET_ROOTFS_*, and their rules clobber each
other's auxiliary files, either directly (_fakeroot.fs), or via mkusers
which creates duplicate rows in target/etc/group.

I tried to fix this by something like:

  .NOTPARALLEL: $$(BINARIES_DIR)/rootfs.$(1)

...but it just caused the entire build to once again become serial,
package-after-package, which is not what I want.

Is there a better fix than running `make -j32 target-finalize && make` as a
workaround?

With kind regards,
Jan