[Buildroot] [RFC] Adopt a coding style for Python scripts

Ricardo Martincoski ricardo.martincoski at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 01:25:29 UTC 2017

Arnout, Thomas P,

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 06:34 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

> On 20-04-17 09:17, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

>>> I can look into this integration.
>>
>> I have nothing against option (D), but I'm wondering what is the
>> relation with the checkpackage script. checkpackage checks packages,
>> written in Kconfig and Make, what is the relation with complying with
>> the Python PEP8 recommendation?
>
>  Actually, check-package checks files, not packages. It looks at the filename
> and if it is one it recognizes, it runs the appropriate checker on it. So a
> checker that applies to files ending with .py could certainly be added.

It is feasible, probably using the library file-magic because not all Python
scripts in the tree use .py extension.

But maybe it is too much, at least for now.

Before submitting a patch for a package one can use check-package.
Before submitting a patch for a Python script one can use pycodestyle (pep8).

It's not really needed to have a unified script to check both a package and a
Python script.
They are in different directories and are sent in separate patches anyway.

Regards,
Ricardo