[Buildroot] Xorg crash

Gustavo Zacarias gustavo at zacarias.com.ar
Thu May 5 17:37:42 UTC 2016

On 05/05/16 14:31, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 11:33:13 -0300, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
>
>> Try using BR2_OPTIMIZE_2=y and rebuild everything - the X server is
>> notoriously fragile when optimizing for size with certain toolchain
>> combinations/architectures.
>
> Should we:
>
>   (1) Switch to -O2 as the default optimization level ?
>
>   (2) Force -O2 for the X.org server ?
>
> Thomas

Hi.
 From the little testing i've done it seems that switching the xorg
server alone to -O2 is enough.
I'm not a fan of "dark magic" scenarios, however it seems to be a
recurring problem, at least for ARM & MIPS, doesn't seem to be the case
for x86_64.
I could make a couple test configs to see on which combinations it's
failing by extending the Qemu ones, but it's probably more hassle than
anything since there seems to be a wide spectrum of gcc versions affected.
Going for -O2 might be the quickest solution, at least for xorg-server
itself.
Regards.