[Buildroot] Compilation of Buildroot 2016.2 for Raspberry Pi with Musl 1.1.6 fails - no stddef.h header

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Mar 16 22:26:04 UTC 2016

On 03/15/16 09:57, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> To recreate the problem:
>
> $ wget https://buildroot.org/downloads/buildroot-2016.02.tar.bz2
> $ tar -xjf buildroot-2016.02.tar.bz2
> $ cd buildroot-2016.02
> $ make raspberrypi_defconfig
> $ make menuconfig
> In the "Toolchain" section select "Toolchain type" "External toolchain"
> and then in "Toolchain" "Musl 1.1.6 toolchain (experimental)"
> Leave the configuration menu, saving the configuration
> $ make
>
> After some time you'll get:
>
>   CC      drivers/misc/vc04_services/interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_shim.o
>   CC      fs/proc/array.o
> drivers/misc/vc04_services/interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_shim.c:42:20:
> fatal error: stddef.h: No such file or directory
>   #include <stddef.h>
>                      ^
> compilation terminated.
> scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target
> 'drivers/misc/vc04_services/interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_shim.o' failed

  That looks like a problem with the RPi kernel. stddef.h doesn't exist within
the kernel, it simply shouldn't be used. Well, it's Broadcom code so not really
surprising that it's wrong...

  You could try to patch it out, send a pull request, and the update our defconfig.

> If I'm forced to build the system quickly (as my students are, due to
> short lab sessions), the only way is to switch off the EABIhf (by
> selection of the EABI in the "Target options", Target ABI) and use the
> "Toolchain (Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2014.05)"
>
> Of course the optimal solution is to use the "Buildroot toolchain"
> with standard EABIhf, but it takes very long to rebuild after "make
> clean"...

  How about using one of the autobuilder toolchains? E.g. [1].

  Regards,
  Arnout

[1] http://autobuild.buildroot.net/toolchains/configs/br-arm-cortex-a9-glibc.config