[Buildroot] Another lame user question.

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:58:39 UTC 2016

Thanks for the tips. The user/group thing was a wild goose chase from
other internet users trying to get mysql to work.

I got mysql relocated. But still a mystery is how it SHOULD be done.
There are two files involved in configuring it. The
/etc/init.d/S97mysql starts/stops the service, but also passes some
command line args:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    start)
        if [ ! -d /data/mysql/mysql ] ; then
            echo "Creating MySQL system tables..."
            mysql_install_db --user=mysql --ldata=/data/mysql
        fi

        # mysqld runs as user mysql, but /run is only writable by root
        # so create a subdirectory for mysql.
        install -d -o mysql -g root -m 0700 /data/mysql

        # We don't use start-stop-daemon because mysqld has
        # its own wrapper script.
        printf "Starting mysql..."
        /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --pid-file=/data/mysql/mysqld.pid &
        echo "done."
        ;;
    stop)
        printf "Stopping mysql..."
        if test -f /data/mysql/mysqld.pid ; then
            kill `cat /data/mysql/mysqld.pid`
        fi
        echo "done."
        ;;
    restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/mysqld {start|stop|restart}"
        ;;
esac

and the important parts of my.cnf

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
#password    = your_password
port        = 3306
socket        = /data/mysql/mysqld.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port        = 3306
socket        = /data/mysql/mysqld.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer_size = 256M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_open_cache = 256
sort_buffer_size = 1M
read_buffer_size = 1M
read_rnd_buffer_size = 4M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
thread_cache_size = 8
query_cache_size= 16M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 2
#dockstar data directory on r/w ubi partition.
datadir=/data/mysql

When I aligned these two files I could relocate the mysql data and pid
storage. But I don't know if I need all this redundant info or not.
When I get over my next unrelated hurdle I will come back and remove
one thing at a time and see what is needed and what isn't.

Thanks for the tips, Steve