[Buildroot] User question UTF-8

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:49:34 UTC 2015

Hi Arnout,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

>  Busybox and python are completely unrelated. In python 2, you'll have to
> explicitly encode/decode the filenames with the appropriate character set. The
> default character set is ascii, not utf-8. In python 3, there is an environment
> variable that you can set to default to utf-8, though.
>
>  Regards,
>  Arnout

Hi Arnout,

Yes I know. I started by discovering the utf-8 problem in python using
os.walk. I then tried to simplify the problem by getting the filenames
to work with just the os (linux 4.1.4 and busybox).

Python 2.x just barely supports utf-8 and seems to require that the os
agree with the support, at least for os.walk. It took lots of fiddling
to get it to work on Raspian too.

Thanks for helping,

Steve