[Buildroot] Using openssl functions in another package

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Fri Nov 20 22:06:20 UTC 2015

On 20-11-15 20:35, David Van Arnem wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a custom package (source in C) that uses some of OpenSSL's SHA functions
> to perform hashing.  I can build successfully outside of the buildroot tree by
> both including the SHA header file in the C source with:
>
> #include <openssl/sha.h>
>
> and then adding the crypto library in the CC command:
>
> $(CC) -lcrypto -o prog prog.c

 In general, instead of explicitly passing -lcrypto it is better to use
pkg-config to get the flags:

$(CC) `pkg-config --cflags libcrypto --libs libcrypto` -o prog prog.c

> However, when I try to build the package in buildroot, using the same CC command
> in the Makefile, I get the following error:
>
> prog.c: fatal error: openssl/sha.h: No such file or directory
>
> I have enabled the openssl package in my buildroot configuration, and set up my
> custom package's Config.in to depend on it:
>
> depends on BR2_PACKAGE_OPENSSL

 Did you also add a dependency on openssl in the package.mk file?  Do you pass
the correct CC in the package.mk file? Is the header properly installed in
output/staging/usr/include/openssl?

 Regards,
 Arnout