[Buildroot] How to provide one default skeleton per init system?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jun 10 09:52:12 UTC 2014

Dear Maxime Ripard,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:01:23 +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:

> > a) Move system/skeleton to system/skeleton/busybox, then add
> >    system/skeleton/systemd, and maybe system/skeleton/sysv. The menu in
> >    system/Config.in will be updated to select BR2_ROOTFS_SKELETON_BUSYBOX,
> >    or BR2_ROOTFS_SKELETON_CUSTOM.
> > b) Add a new virtual package: target-skeleton, with some providers:
> >    target-skeleton-busybox, target-skeleton-systemd and
> >    target-skeleton-custom (path to the custom skeleton would be handled in the
> >    configuration menu).
>
> And you also have:
>
>   c) Move the files in the skeleton at the package level. Each package
>      would be providing whatever file it needs and is not shared by
>      all the init systems.

I don't think (b) and (c) are mutually exclusive actually. We can
have a "skeleton" package that installs all the files that are common
to all situations, and then have busybox, systemd and sysvinit install
the files that they need.

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com