[Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #9: submitter notification

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 09:23:48 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
>
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 22:13:56 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> [1/1] Option to copy Linaro gconv libs to target
>> Stanislav Vasic <svlasic at gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/288022
>>
>> This patch has been marked as Superseded (by someone else, presumably
>> Yann E. Morin), as a new patch covering the same problem has been
>> introduced: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/357067/. The discussion
>> is ongoing and hopefully we'll soon have a solution to the problem.
>
> Correct, we discussed it with Yann on IRC yesterday, and it is indeed
> superseded by a more generic solution proposed by Yann, and that I
> commented yesterday.
>
>> [RFC] core: Download all package sources
>> Clayton Shotwell <clshotwe at rockwellcollins.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/288224
>>
>> B. Rejected for now, as per feedback of Clayton.
>
> ACK. Did you mark is as rejected?

yes

>> perf: libelf is required to compile perf
>> Andi Shyti <andi at etezian.org>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/288534
>>
>> B reject. Manually selecting libelf if you're using older kernel
>> versions works fine.
>
> ACK. Did you mark it as rejected?

yes

>> [1/1] add support for congatec conga-qmx6
>> Fabien Lahoudere (ECASINTERS) <fabien.lahoudere at openwide.fr>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/288951
>>
>> A accept (to be refreshed)
>
> Be careful: there are some more recent versions of this patch available
> in patchwork, submitted by other persons.

Thanks for mentioning this. Stephan Hoffmann did indeed send a similar patch:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/355196/
As the e-mail explicitly references Fabien's patch, stating that it is
an improvement in the eyes of the submitter, I'm marking Fabien's
patch as Superseded.

Fabien: if you believe the mentioned patch of Stephan is not ok for
some reason, please comment on that patch.

>> gcc: use generic infrastructure for patches
>> Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/289052
>>
>> C unsure. In the 'triaging proposal' Arnout gave more feedback, also
>> requesting feedback from ThomasP and Peter. No feedback received after
>> that...
>
> Need to have a look. I think I had some objections to the patch, which
> I shared in the review process.
>
>> [1/2] util-linux: nommu: Add patch to use vfork in nommu arch.
>> Sonic Zhang <sonic.adi at gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/290234
>>
>> [v2,1/3] e2fsprogs: nommu: Add patch to use vfork in nommu arch.
>> Sonic Zhang <sonic.adi at gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/291514
>>
>> All two patches: C unsure: the first patch has received several
>> comments but does not seem to have a follow-up version. What to do
>> with all these Blackfin vfork patches is also unclear to me: should we
>> wait for upstream to accept them or not?
>
> My problem with those noMMU patches is that they seem to simply do
> s/fork/vfork/ and s/exit/_exit/ without any real testing other than 'it
> builds'. fork() and vfork() are not interchangeable, and therefore we
> want to see a justification for each replacement of the reasons why it
> works. I think for now, we've solved the problem by marking the
> relevant parts of util-linux as 'depends on BR2_USE_MMU' and ditto for
> e2fsprogs.
>
> Therefore, I would indeed suggest to ask Sonic to work with the
> upstream folks of util-linux and e2fsprogs to get the problems fixed.

Agreed.
Sonic: please try to work with upstream to get proper support for noMMU, thanks!
In the mean time I'm marking them as Rejected in patchwork.

>> audiofile: needs dynamic library
>> Simon Dawson <spdawson at gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/290552
>>
>> C unsure: the autobuild problem this patch is supposed to fixed is
>> still present (http://autobuild.buildroot.org/?reason=audiofile-0.3.6)
>> but the correctness of the patch has been under discussion. Gustavo
>> acknowledged the problem. I marked the patch as delegated to him.
>
> Discussed with Yann yesterday: we should reject. The problem is not
> related to audiofile directly, other packages are affected as well. We
> see it on audiofile because it starts with 'a' so tends to be at the
> beginning of the build. Gustavo's patches are more likely to resolve
> the problem correctly for all packages.

Ok, marked as such.

>> [v2,2/3] e2fsprogs: flat: Add patch to append uuid link flag after the
>> blkid link flags when checking the blkid library in the FLAT binary
>> mode.
>> Sonic Zhang <sonic.adi at gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/291515
>>
>> B reject: according to me this patch is superseded by commit
>> http://git.buildroot.org/buildroot/commit/?id=a8da3cd61aafd3e2fd44b87725fcc14b60b93be8.
>> ThomasP: could you confirm?
>
> Well, it is surely not the same fix. Sonic patches were making possible
> to build libblkid and e2fsprogs on noMMU platforms, while my patch
> simply disallowed them. But see the explanation above: we're
> unconvinced by the apparently blind replacements of fork() by vfork(),
> and Sonic never came back with new iterations and proper justification.
> So I'd say Reject.

Ok, done.

>> [v2] util-linux: flat: Add patch to skip creating dynamic libraries
>> Sonic Zhang <sonic.adi at gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/291522
>>
>> C unsure, is this still relevant? Is the solution correct? I couldn't
>> answer it...
>
> This patch touches the build of three libraries: libmount, libblkid and
> libuuid. libmound and libblkid are now disabled on noMMU platforms
> (since the patch you pointed above). And libuuid builds just fine on
> Blackfin FLAT (I just tested again to be sure).

Ok, so I'm marking this as rejected.

>> [2/2] mpg123: use code optimized for ARM NEON SIMD engine if available
>> Sven Neumann <neumann at teufel.de>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/293605
>>
>> Now superseded by commit 1cf2c6ea93d3bd855df7c9883d3882034f0568fa.
>
> Correct. Did you mark Sven's patch as superseded?

Yes I did.

Thanks for the feedback!