[Buildroot] Glibc LD_LIBRARAY_PATH error

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Jul 2 06:47:33 UTC 2014

On 01/07/14 23:09, Mike Zick wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 22:07:03 +0200
> Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

>>>  I could imagine an ancient build host where the developer has to
>>> build his own python2.7 or other buildroot-dependencies. Not really
>>> realistic, though, because then the executable should just set its
>>> DT_RPATH/DT_RUNPATH.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>>  Also, we already have a check for LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
>>> dependencies.sh. It just doesn't check for empty path elements,
>>> only for . path elements.
>>
>> Well, the idea would be to get rid of this check entirely, and replace
>> it by a simple unexport in the main Makefile.
>>

> What about the (I would hope, unusual) case where a user needs those
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings to run a POST_**_SCRIPT ?
>
> - - - -
>
> Even a further out use case -
> The applications requiring a LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting, where the
> application(s) are used in a POST_**_SCRIPT, but the source isn't
> available to build-in the appropriate DT_RUNPATH/DT_RPATH?

 To be honest, I think that use case is so far out that we don't need to
consider it, and anyway the user has two easy solutions:

- don't use a POST_**_SCRIPT but wrap something around the Makefile;

- create a wrapper for the binaries that require LD_LIBRARY_PATH (like java apps
typically do).

> For this second use case -
> How about putting a "host-patchelf" target in the host tools list?

 You wouldn't want to patch an out-of-buildroot-tree tool on every build
invocation, would you? Especially since that tool is probably in some shared,
non-writable place...

 Regards,
 Arnout