[Buildroot] What to do about systemd/udev/eudev?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Mar 5 06:40:56 UTC 2013

On 04/03/13 11:16, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Not saying this is the way to go at all as I haven't got stuck into mdev
> yet but thought I may as well air another option which Gentoo was
> following due to broken boot for seperate /usr without initramfs, which
> is to stay at the udev version 17? (I think before the 192?
> amalgamation or inheritance by an ignoramus) until the time that eudev
> is said to be ready for production.

  And this is exactly what Olivier Schonken's patch does, right? For
systemd init systems, systemd's udev is used; for other init systems, the
old udev 17 is used.

  As to compatibility of the udev library users: we can make them depend
on BR2_ROOTFS_DEVICE_CREATION_SYSTEMD_DYNAMIC_UDEV if they really require
the new udev. It's of course a pity that some simple package like
libatasmart requires a specific init system to be installed, but that's
what you get when you enter Leonard Poettering's cathedral...

  Regards,
  Arnout