[Buildroot] No core dump when killed with ABRT, SEGV, etc.

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:25:54 UTC 2013

I get a proper core dump if a program actually causes a segfault, but
I can't figure out how to force a coredump by killing a running
process.

On my desktop machines with glibc, this generates a core dump:

tty1:

   $ ulimit -c 9999999
   $ <start program>

tty2:
   $ kill -ABRT <pid>

On my buildroot system, there's no core dump.  The program is aborted
as expected, but it doesn't dump a core file.  If the same program
tries to actually dereference a NULL pointer there is a core dump.

Why doesn't killing a process with SIGABRT or SIGSEGV cause a core
dump?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I am covered with
                                  at               pure vegetable oil and I am