[Buildroot] AVR32 toolchain build failure

Simon Dawson spdawson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 07:21:14 UTC 2013

Hi Thomas,

On 8 August 2013 06:55, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Current buildroot cannot properly build an AVR32 toolchain with C++
> support. This problem seems to be present for a while now. Are any of
> you interested in such C++ support, and do you have time to look into
> this?

I do currently still require C++ support on avr32. However, since
support for uClibc 0.9.31.x was removed from Buildroot, I have had to
build my avr32 toolchain using a custom Buildroot fork: unfortunately,
while uClibc 0.9.33.x does build for avr32, the result is a root
filesystem with unusably-slow runtime performance.

So I'm not particularly interested in getting the avr32 toolchain ---
as it currently exists in Buildroot --- to build with C++ support. But
I do need the "Toolchain has C++ support" flag to be available when
using an external avr32 toolchain.

> If no-one is really interested (or does not have time), here are two
> suggestions:
> - we disable the C++ toolchain option for AVR32 and put a comment in kconfig
> - we leave the C++ toolchain option but put a comment in kconfig

I'm happy with either of these options, as long as it is still
possible to mark an external avr32 toolchain as having C++ support.

>From my point of view, the ideal solution would be to reinstate uClibc
0.9.31 support, and to lock the avr32 toolchain to that version of
uClibc. But I understand that this is likely to be unacceptable to
others.

Simon.