[Buildroot] Configuring for a custom kernel.

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Oct 17 20:20:14 UTC 2012

On 15/10/12 18:17, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> I saved a custom kernel tarball to<BR>/dl.
>
> I extracted the kernel with 'make linux-extract', creating
> <BR>/output/build/linux-custom/.
>
> I configured the kernel with 'make linux-menuconfig'.
>
> This saves the kernel config in<BR>/output/build/linux-custom/.config.
>
> What should the kernel settings be in<BR>  'make menuconfig' for
>
> kernel version (custom tarball and its filename?)

  Put the custom tarball in some other location (which may, BTW, be
an URL or a scp:// location), not in the dl dir.  Buildroot will
download/copy it to the dl dir.

> kernel configuration ('using defconfig' or 'using custom config'?)

  Select 'using custom config'.  Then specify a location for your
custom config (which doesn't exist yet).  Then, run
'make linux-update-defconfig' (assuming your kernel is 2.6.33 or later,
otherwise you have to use 'make linux-update-config').  The latter command
will copy the linux-custom/.config file to the location you specified
in menuconfig.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540