[Buildroot] Debugging /sbin/init startup issues

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 04:03:39 UTC 2012

Step 1: boot with a kernel command line that ends with the word 'single'
for single user-mode.

Step 2: Back up to a functional kernel image rootfs combination and review
the changes.

Step 3: ensure the string 'debug' is on the kernel command line.

Step 4: review the geometry layout of the flash passed to the kernel.

Basically, what this message is telling you is that the kernel does not
understand the root file system. The are incompatible, probably something
like cramfs when it should be jffs2, wrong mtd partition definition or the
like.

Charles