[Buildroot] Kconfig: "selects" vs. "depends on"

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Mar 4 10:57:15 UTC 2012

On Sunday 04 March 2012 11:11:58 Samuel Martin wrote:
> 2012/3/4 Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno at gmail.com>:
> > Which should I use?
> Afaik, "depends on" is transitive, whereas "select" is not, see [1] as ref.

 Actually, no.  Both of them are transitive, but only with themselves.  So
a depends-on chain works, and a select chain works, but a mix of depends-on
and select doesn't.  Bottom line is: if you use select, you should copy the
depends-on statements of the symbol you select.  Which is one reason why I
claim we should use select as much as possible (to avoid mixing them).

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540