[Buildroot] Kconfig

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Wed Jan 25 22:14:30 UTC 2012

David, All,

On Wednesday 25 January 2012 22:37:24 David Lynch Jr. wrote:
> So how did you work things out for your project ?

You mean about the kconfig-frontends?

> By tearing an existing setup apart or is there actually docs somewhere ?

I copied the source code, and hammered it hard enough until it compiled.
So far, there is only one trivial patch that needs to be applied to the
gconf frontend.

> I think I am pretty competent with the Kconfig structures - though I do
> nto recall every having seen them documented, there are plent of
> examples for how to do things inside the linux kernel source.
> All the sub makefiles are pretty trivial.

So, I am a bit puzzled... Are you speaking about the, Kconfig configuration
language, or about the Kbuild build system?

> I think i am reasonably competent with Makefiles - though I think
> complex makefiles are a Write only language.
> But i will confess that more than trivial changes to the Linux
> (buildroot, ...) Makefiles are pushing my limits.

Looks like you are speaking more about Kbuild than about Kconfig...

> I have done very little with autoconf, and was no aware that it had
> anything to do with the Kconfig build scheme.

Now, it seems you are confusing Kbuild and Kconfig...

Kconfig : the configuration language, used to define the options, their
types (eg. bool, tristate, strings...), their dependencies (eg. foo
depends on bar), how they are presented to the user (prompt).

Kbuild : how source files should be compiled, their dependencies...

> But again, I think it is a wonderful means of managing something that
> needs myriads of possible build permutations, but I have never seen any
> real documentation.

In your favourite Linux kernel source tree:
    Documentation/kbuild/

Granted, it's sometime a bit recondite, but all the info I ever needed,
I found there.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.