[Buildroot] Any way to override .config settings?

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:26:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

>>>   Yes, the package override file: BR2_PACKAGE_OVERRIDE_FILE, defaults to
>>> $(TOPDIR)/local.mk. I use this to include a bunch of project-specific .mk
>>> files that add packages without requiring a Config.in.
>>

>> In a separate thread to this, I submitted a patch that follows the
>> package overriding idea to override the config
>

>  Since it does exactly the same as BR2_PACKAGE_OVERRIDE_FILE, I don't see
> the point... Unless you want to start overriding toolchain configs.
>
>  Actually, I don't see much point to override the .config - why not just
> save a different .config?

I agree. From a maintenance point of view, having one file (.config or
defconfig) that describes how something is built is much nicer than
having a .config and various makefiles that hack at it.

Also, the buildroot make system is a mechanism that can easily be
extended by an external script or makefile. We should resist the
temptation to complicate the buildroot system just to fit a subset of
people's strange build desires. Keeping it simple and clean and
limiting the number of targets is good.

Regards, Steve