[Buildroot] Support of iMX6 hardware ?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Dec 6 11:48:55 UTC 2012

Dear Thierry Bultel,

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 10:14:46 +0100, Thierry Bultel wrote:

> I have 2 questions around the Buildroot support for iMX6 from
> Freescale, especially around graphics.
>
> 1) Is there current work on that for a coming release ?

Everything is in the Buildroot Git repository, and besides that I
haven't heard of people working on i.MX6 "advanced" features. We have a
defconfig for the nitrogen6x board that was done by Peter, but I guess
Peter hasn't investigated the entire graphics stack of i.MX6 for now.

It would indeed be really, really great to improve i.MX6 support in
Buildroot (and also for other SoCs).

> I have noticed that openbricks seem to already have integrated the
> imx6-lib and xdriver-xf86-video-imx
>
> 2) I have trying to get both of them integrated in buildroot
> The imx6-lib, which will be a 'generic-package', needs includes of
> the target kernel; these includes are not in the sysroot.
>
> What is the most appropriate way to proceed ? The underlying Makefile
> has got a "INCLUDE" var to be set, shall I point it to my
> linux-custom build directory ? That does not seem very good.

To me, it's the right solution. If you have userspace code that depends
on very specific kernel headers that are not part of a traditional
toolchain, then pointing to the kernel sources is the only solution.

Of course, it means that the package must "depends on BR2_LINUX_KERNEL"
and have <foobar>_DEPENDENCIES = linux.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com