[Buildroot] mdev problem in 2011.08 ?

Pierre Ficheux pierre.ficheux at openwide.fr
Sun Sep 18 13:01:51 UTC 2011

Hi all,

May be I'm wrong but it seems there is a problem when using mdev for
/dev management:

/dev management (Dynamic using mdev)

The /dev/null device is needed by /etc/inittab when mounting /proc and
/sys. As it does not exist because S10mdev is started later, /sys is not
mounted and mdev -s does not work.

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw / # REMOUNT_ROOTFS_RW
null::sysinit:/bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts
null::sysinit:/bin/mkdir -p /dev/shm
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
null::sysinit:/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
# now run any rc scripts
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

I fixed it for my test by adding the following line to /etc/inittab

::sysinit:/bin/mknod /dev/null c 1 3

regards

Pierre FICHEUX -/- CTO OW/OWI, France -\- pierre.ficheux at openwide.fr
                                         http://ingenierie.openwide.fr
                                         http://www.ficheux.org
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code