[Buildroot] proc not mouning

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Mar 24 18:58:30 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:35:16 -0400
"Heyendal, Carl" <CHeyendal at stanleyworks.com> wrote:

> I was originally generating the root filesystem as a cpio archive and
> using that to populate my SD card. Later on, as a build optimization,
> I disabled generating rootfs.cpio at the top level Buildroot
> menuconfig. Instead I started copying 'output/target/*' over to my SD
> card. That's when the trouble began I guess. I switched back to using
> rootfs.cpio to populate the SD card and I no longer have the
> problem. :-)

From the Buildroot documentation at
http://buildroot.org/downloads/buildroot.html :

 target/ which contains almost the complete root filesystem for the
 target: everything needed is present except the device files in /dev/
 (Buildroot can't create them because Buildroot doesn't run as root and
 doesn't want to run as root). Therefore, this directory should not be
 used on your target. Instead, you should use one of the images built in
 the images/ directory. If you need an extracted image of the root
 filesystem for booting over NFS, then use the tarball image generated
 in images/ and extract it as root.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com