[Buildroot] device_table & /dev/shm

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Mon Jun 27 03:32:41 UTC 2011

Hi Charles,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:51:19AM -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:
> I would appreciate understanding more the two concepts of a) overriding
> target/generic/device_table. txt so I can understand how the mounted jffs2
> became different then the contents of output/target/dev

This is the general behaviour of mount on Unix like operating systems.
Whenever you mount a filesystem on a directory, the previous content of this
directory in no longer directly visible until umount. Instead, the content of
the mounted filesystem takes over.

> and the b) How we
> get from what appears to be the default /etc/fstab mounting tmpfs to one
> where we mount /dev/shm instead in our application space.
>
> Is there a busybox config setup for /dev/shm? I went through the busybox
> menuconfig this morning and I don't see one.

There is nothing related to Busybox here. All you need to do is to create the
/dev/shm directory, and then mount tmpfs on it.

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems