[Buildroot] [RFC] Override source directories

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jun 10 21:21:48 UTC 2011

Hello Patryk,

Le Thu, 09 Jun 2011 08:38:46 +0200,
Patryk Benderz <Patryk.Benderz at esp.pl> a écrit :

> > Feedback, comments and ideas welcome.
> Any chance you could implement <pkg>-remove target, parallel to
> <pkg>-rebuild target? Because this is what I really miss in
> Buildroot. I often find some packages useless, and I have to build
> from scratch to remove them. I suppose others would also appreciate
> "remove package" function.

This is also on the TODO-list, and some experiments have been made to
implement this, but it is a very different work than the one I'm
currently proposing through this patch set. As Buildroot is designed
today, it does not know which package installed which files in
TARGET_DIR and STAGING_DIR, which makes it impossible for Buildroot to
remove a particular package. The package infrastructure needs to be
extended to maintain the list of the files installed by each package
(this is relatively simple). But then, when removing a package, you
need to ensure that all reverse-dependencies of this package are also
removed, or at least recompiled. This is not completely trivial to
implement.

Regards,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com