[Buildroot] devtmpfs and initramfs

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Jul 20 11:00:38 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 20 July 2011 12:52:08, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  >> > #!/bin/sh
>  >> > # devtmpfs does not get automounted for initramfs'es
>  >> > /bin/mount -t devtmpfs devtmpfs /dev
>  >> > exec /sbin/init $*
>  >> >
>  >> > Unless BR2_ROOTFS_DEVICE_CREATION_STATIC is enabled.
>  >>
>  >> Sorry, but this solution smells just like my socks. I think wk can find
>  >> a better one :)
>
>  Arnout>  Yeah, I also would prefer not to proliferate the number of
>  Arnout> ways that the init process is influenced...
>
> I don't see what there is to dislike. With this, the non-standard
> behaviour of initramfs'es is nicely self contained within the initramfs
> support code, and nothing else needs to know about it. There's nothing
> to tweak, and it just works out of the box (tm), no matter what init
> implementation or custom inittab is used.

 But next thing you know, some other piece of Makefile also wants to do
something with /init...

 Since it potentially interacts with other parts of the build, I would argue
that it _should_not_ be self-contained.

 That said, I'm not too enthousiastic about the rc.S solution either, since it
may also interact badly with alternative init procedures.

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540