[Buildroot] BE: Buildroot How-To for QEMU/ARM (Jim Thomas)

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 19:06:02 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-31, Jim Thomas <jimthomasembedded at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the Buildroot adoption rate might be higher if there
> were a documented, streamlined way to build the kernel/RFS and
> execute it under QEMU, with an end-to-end Buildroot build
> process triggered by a single 'some_arm_defconfig'.  It might
> serve as a very useful hardware independent reference
> platform.

I think that would be usefull as well.  Building for ARM boards
and then running on Qemu is how I got up to speed on the
Buildroot "environment", but it was harder than it could have
been because the tutorials for buildroot/ARM/Qemu were out of
date and the default configs for the two platforms I tried were
broken (wouldn't build).

Keeping a tutorial up-to-date would take some effort. It might
be easier if it were in a Wiki format that didn't require
wrestling with the bug-tracker and the submissions and approval
of patches.

If the default configs aren't going to be kept up to date, it
would be nice if there was something to indicate which
version(s) of Buildroot they did work with.

It would be easy enough to set up an automated test to check
that all of the default configs build, but checking to see if
they work is obviously a lot harder.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Well, I'm INVISIBLE
                                  at               AGAIN ... I might as well