[Buildroot] buildroot with ipkg

julien.boibessot at free.fr julien.boibessot at free.fr
Sat Sep 22 21:28:52 UTC 2007

Selon Thomas Lundquist <lists at zelow.no>:

> Why bother then? if all that will be done is putting it where everything
> is today? Then it's no need to make packages at all.

With the "OpenWrt" method you have:
* the packages (.ipkg) built for all the Buildroot software you selected with
menuconfig
* AND a rootfs with all these packages pre-installed (ready to test your
configuration)

After that you can upload your packages to your (web)server and share/use them,
or directly flash the rootfs.
What I was pointing in my email is that you probably don't need to add your
"<m>" entry in Buildroot menuconfig. Your option to choose the package type
should be
enough: if the user choose to build packages, then you can build them for all
the selected software.

> This is where I lost it. it's up to the end user to do this step. This
> is why I do autonomous packages.

Sorry, I probably failed to explain my thoughts clearly...
Why not build all software as packages when the user want it and as "builtin" in
the other case ?

> Feel free to to this and I'd be happy if there was a patch to choose
> this method but no way am I going to make this the only one. The builder
> should be able to choose what to put where.

Don't forget package dependencies...

If you need help to integrate ipkg, I have already some modifications of
Buildroot to share with you, before publishing them.

Julien